Course Details Part 1
The diploma is in two parts, each consisting of 60 credits.
Part One must be successfully completed before work for Part Two is undertaken.
For Part One a candidate offers four modules of 15 credits each. These are selected from three groups:
Group A: Christian liturgy and worship
Group B: Studies in church music
Group C: Composition and arrangement
Each candidate must choose at least one module from Group A, and at least one from Section B. Section C is optional.
- Module A1: Historical outline of Christian liturgy and worship
- Module A2: Modern Christian liturgy, worship and pastoral theology (since c.1950)
- Module B1: Western liturgical chant
- Module B2: European polyphonic sacred music (c.1100-1620)
- Module B3: Vernacular hymnody and metrical psalms (c.1500-present)
- Module B4: English Cathedral music (c.1480-present)
- Module B5: Protestant Music in Continental Europe (c.1520 -1750)
- Module B6: Music and the Roman Catholic Church from the Council of Trent to the Second Vatican Council
- Module B7: Trends in church music since 1950
- Module B8: Popular and multicultural music in contemporary worship